Fonda plays Ulee Jackson, a Vietnam Vet, widower and grandfather. He is a beekeeper by profession, who raises two granddaughters because his son (played by Wood) is in prison and his daughter-in-law Helen has run away to a drug user’s existence. The son implores him to look for his wife and bring her home. Upon returning home with Helen, Ulee’s granddaughters see their mother going through a severe detox, and plead with their neighbor Connie to help her. Connie is a twice-divorced nurse who assists Ulee in detoxifying his daughter-in-law. The film shows Ulee holding the family together and attempting to protect them from two young criminals, associates of his son, who come looking for a hidden stash of cash.
- Peter Fonda as Ulee Jackson
- Patricia Richardson as Connie Hope
- Jessica Biel as Casey Jackson
- Vanessa Zima as Penny Jackson
- Christine Dunford as Helen Jackson
Awards: Nominated for Oscar. Another 7 wins & 11 nominations.
Coincidentally, Peter Fonda’s dad Henry Fonda had been an amateur beekeeper for a period during his acting career.
Peter Fonda wore his father’s (Henry Fonda) watch throughout filming as a good-luck charm.
This is Jessica's first movie role!
- Young Artist Awards – Best Performance in a Feature Film – Supporting Young Actress, Jessica Biel (Won)
- Academy Awards – Best Actor in a Leading Role, Peter Fonda (Nominated)
- Golden Globes – Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama, Peter Fonda (Won)
- Screen Actors Guild Awards – Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Leading Role, Peter Fonda (Nominated)